Celebrating Women's Day with soprano, Vera-Marie

Local soprano Vera-Marie is a lady with both her feet planted firmly on the ground. The Beat visited her to find out her thoughts on National Women's Day on Friday 9 August, what it means to her and what she will be doing this day.
The beautiful South African soprano, Vera-Marie

What does Women’s Day mean for you? For me it's a day to appreciate and honour women from EVERY walk of life who are the essence of our lives.

How will you be spending the day? I'll be in Piet Retief in preparation for the evenings concert with my fellow soprano singer Pretty Yende in celebration of this wonderful day. Pretty and the conductor Kutlwano Masote decided together on the singers to be involved. I was grateful and honoured to receive this phone call from Maestro Masote! 

Where does your interest in opera music come from? I was mostly exposed to Musical Theatre, our family often visited the State Theatre to view productions like, Gigi, My Fair Lady, Camelot etc. since then I knew I definitely love the theatre. Opera was mostly introduced through my Grandmother who also loved singing opera and my singing teacher of that time Tippi de Kok.

What are your favourite operas? It's very difficult to choose for every character and opera speaks to the soul, but I must admit that I do favour the more dramatic roles and operas like Carmen, Samson et Dalila, don Carlos etc.

We understand you were the under study for Katherine Jenkins when she visited our shores. WOW! Tell us more about that? Yes, it was for a variety concert consisting of several performers. I was asked to prepare her solos and be on stand-by for that specific concert should anything go wrong.

When not singing, how do you relax? I spend time with my family.  We love the outdoors, we often play some golf (that really takes my mind off everything).

What is the one thing people don’t know about. I love going for a jog....i would love to do the Comrades Marathon .....one day.

What advice would you give to women to equip them with women rights? I would advise anyone to watch the movie 'As it is in Heaven' and follow the lyrics of Gabriella's song. It has a wonderful message. My favourite part "I have never lost who I was, I have only left it sleeping"

Comments