Fokofpolisiekar: Hunter Kennedy's thoughts...

Fokofpolisiekar's Hunter Kennedy shares his mindset about Parkiebank, herfs 2017:

“In this piece I’m contemplating financial prosperity as a measure of success and the ethical dilemma around wealth in a country like ours where as a result of centuries of colonization, civil wars, exploitation of cheap labour and natural resources, blatant racial oppression and gross mismanagement at governmental level the rich/poor line still has a colour.

“It’s also about measuring our happiness by our achievements and the irony of working our whole lives just to one day, hopefully, be able to do nothing.

“Clearly I have a problem with being neck deep in our product-driven, capitalistic construct. I often entertain escape, but we never do what we say we're going to.

“My love/hate relationship with the media causes sleepless nights. An urgent paranoia washes over me from time to time and I think about escaping, not just the constant drudgery of the pursuit of wealth and luxury, but also the racial discourse in our country (this was when Bell-Pottinger’s evil master plan was in full swing).

I often feel like I don’t belong here, but then I wonder, where the f*ck do I actually belong? In other pieces I’ve questioned the validity of borders in our increasingly integrated world. I feel that we, and people like us, don’t think of ourselves as patriots and thus we don’t have a homeland and that, in fact, we don’t need one.


“‘Wat maak ons nog hier?’ (What are we still doing here?) is a challenge to do an internal audit and to grapple with the question until you have an answer.”

Comments