With the end of 2011 racing towards us, we at The Beat are looking SOOOOOO forward to 2012 - because it means new music! We had a look at the hottest most anticipated CDs coming to music lovers (like ourselves) in 2012.
1. Ok, deep breaths....Mr Sexy Back Justin Timberlake is rumoured to be hitting the music scene once again next year, embarking on a worldwide tour! We can only hope this means we will see a new JT CD on our shelves sometime soon...
2. Pop Queen Madonna, or as she is known in the music industry, Her Madgesty, has been working on her twelfth studio album since July this year, and it should be ready for release early next year! The granny of pop is set to reveal her new music when she performs at the halftime show at the Super Bowl in Feb 2012.
3. Pink released a greatest hits album last year, cleverly titled 'Greatest Hits..So Far!' While the spunky singer is currently on a break after the birth of her first child, rumour has hit she will return to the studio next year to record her 7th album!
4. If their latest radio offering, 'Moves Like Jagger', is anything to go by, Maroon 5's new album is sure to impress. The band's last release was in 2010, and frontman (and super hottie) Adam Levine recently let slip in an interview that they are hoping to have something new out early next year! Yippee!
5.No Doubt! Yup, Gwen Stefani and fellow rockers will return next year with a new release! The band was hoping to release their first LP since 'Rock Steady' in 2001 in time for Christmas this year, but won't be ready in time! The band has said they want to make sure they are making "the best record we can possibly make".
6. Superstar sister of the late and great MJ, Janet Jackson, is rumoured to be releasing a new album sometime in 2012. Her last release was back in '08, she has just extended her world tour to February 2012, which makes us think she will be straight back in the studio!
7. Tik Tok Ke$ha started writing her new album while on tour this year, and says it is inspired by 1970s rock and roll. Mmm, should be interesting!
8. Ms Keys released 'The Element of Freedom' back in 2009, which featured songs like 'Put it in a love song' with Beyonce, and 'Empire State of Mind (Part 2)'. The r'n'b songstress unveiled a new song in September this year, and hopes to release a full-length album in 2012.
9.Love him or hate him, there is no denying that Eminem is a true powerhouse in the rap music scene. Rumour has it that the infamous rapper is heading back to the studio, and will release his eighth studio album next year. We can't wait to see what controversy he stirs up this time!
10. Recent visitors to our shores, U2, haven't released a new album since 2009, so we think they're overdue for a new release! While the band recorded a 'club-sounding' LP last year, it has never (and may never) been released! The band has been working on three projects, but has said they will not release an album until later next year! It may still be a bit of a wait, but it will be worth it.
11. OutKast With hits like 'Roses', 'Hey Ya!' and 'Sorry Ms. Jackson', is set, according to sources close to the band, to release a new album early next year after the completion of their solo projects.
12. Las Vegas rockers The Killers began work on their fourth studio album, tentatively titled ‘Battle Born’, in May 2011 at their Las Vegas studio.In a Q Magazine interview taken in June, Flowers stated that album would have ‘great stories told through real rock music’, potential songs include a seven-minute epic titled ‘The Slot Tech’, ‘Runaways’ and ‘The Rising Tide.’In September, drummer Ronnie Vannucci told NME that the band would begin recording the album in Nashville, Tennessee in October, and that the producer had been chosen. Both Vannucci and Flowers have stated that the album will feature a heavier use of guitars than their previous album Day & Age“.
13. In June 2011, Linkin Park revealed to Kerrang! that the band has begun working on new material for their next album. He explained, “We’ve been working on a new record for the past two months. The music is great and we’re well ahead of where we’re expecting to be. There aren’t a whole lot of noises going on, but there are a lot of good songs. It will probably get a very polarized reaction. Which pleases me. As an artist, I want a reaction.” The singer added that the band would be looking to tackle controversial topics on their new album, rather than the more personal subjects of their older material. “We’ve learned how to write serious songs and serious lyrics. We’ve learned how to deal with politics, faith and other things. Those are things that can get preachy really quickly, which we don’t want to do. So you need to learn to talk to people and not at people”, he said.” Rick Rubin will produce the upcoming album and Bennington said he would be “shocked” if it was not released in 2012.
14. Green Day have been up to their secret show shenanigans over the past few months and have been busting out plenty of new songs at these gigs, so it should be safe to assume we’ll be hearing something new in 2012.
15. Paramore have released several new songs already in 2011 and it looks like we can expect a full album in 2012. This will be their first album since the departure of guitarist Josh Farro & drummer Zac Farro.
OTHERS WORTH MENTIONING:
|Die Antwoord's Ten$ion|
* Justin Bieber says of his new release, "I'm trying to create a new sound that people aren't really used to hearing...it's going to be like when Justin Timberlake did". We wait with baited breath....
* Die Antwoord - Ten$ion. The ultra-bizarre, South African hip-hop group are prepping their second full-length in February 2012.
* The recently, re-united Garbage have announced completion of their fifth studio album. Look for the first single to drop in January 2012.
* Sinead O'Connor - How About I Be Me (And You Be You)? will hit stores early 2012.
* Soundgarden will release their first new album since 1996's “Down On The Upside” in 2012.
*Sources: MTV, The Music Hype, Brethelm.blogspot.com