The Muses of music


The charming ladies of The Muses is conquering the local music scene with their fusing of classical instruments with contemporary music. The sensational electric string quartet from Johannesburg is on top form on their CD Pop on Strings, and The Beat sat down with three of the four members Mia Snyman, Anna Peacock and Olivia Kotze to chat about music, Spice Girls and their 'real' jobs.
The Muses

Your music has been described as  "a sensational Electrical String Quartet" - how would you guys describe it to new readers?
Mia Snyman: It's fresh and fun, and you won’t be able to resist tapping your feet to the beat of the music.
Anna Peacock: I would say it is all your favourite pop music played by electrical string instruments in such a way that you just want to party and dance with us!
Where did the story of The Muses started and how did you girls all meet each other?
Mia Snyman: We met each other through various music circles and orchestras, and muses started about a year ago when Olivia approached us all with this concept.
You play instruments, how did you come to master the instruments?
Mia Snyman: We all started very early with music lessons and we have played our instruments for many years, but I don’t think you ever get to a point where you feel you have mastered your instrument.
Anna Peacock: Well my mom literally 'popped' a violin between my legs when I was  barely 10months old.  I started lessons formally at the age of 3 and have never looked back! The cello is certainly the most beautiful instrument ever (but don't tell this to the other Muses…)
A muse is someone that inspires, so, who are your inspirations?
Mia Snyman: I am inspired by anyone who takes every moment and makes the best of it, and who is not afraid of taking a chance and going for their dreams. You never know the beauty that lies ahead by taking that leap of faith.
Anna Peacock: My co-Muses inspire me! Olivia with her wisdom, Mia with her beauty tips and Ruby with her fun fashion trends! I just love them!
Your CD Pop On Strings is a great collection of music. How did you ladies decide what to use?
Mia Snyman: We all actually sat one day with our record label, Electromode and made a list of our favourite songs, and then the top 15 made it onto the CD.
Anna Peacock: We sat and brainstormed with our producer and the whole team at our record company - our motto was: to have so much fun as we possibly can and to bring something new to the public!
What songs work for you and what songs don't?
Mia Snyman: I’ve personally changed my opinion a thousand times concerning my favourite track on the CD, because they all have a different flavour and vibe.
Olivia Kotze: Originally, we chose a Black Eyed Pea's song "Time" but realised it wasn't going to work well. The tracks that work the best are songs with interesting melody lines, the ones where the vocal line is mostly on the same pitch doesn't work very well.
What is the one genre of songs you'll never attempt to play?
Mia Snyman: I don’t think heavy metal is our thing, I mean seriously have you seen our pink album cover?
Tell us a bit more about your collaborations?
Mia Snyman: We love to collaborate with wonderful musicians like Prime Circle and Elvis Blue. We have been very fortunate to share a stage with them.
What has been your best collaboration?
Mia Snyman: My personal favourite was playing on Idols finale 2011 with Elvis Blue, it was such fun being part of a production like that.
How do you ladies relax when not performing?
Mia Snyman: My friends are extremely important to me so I spend most of my downtime with them.
Is The Muses a full time job?
Mia Snyman: Muses is definitely a full time job, but I do teach music at Kingsmead College as well.
What are your future plans with The Muses?
Mia Snyman: That's easy....to conquer the world..heh…heh.
What is the one thing that fans don't know about The Muses?
Mia Snyman: We constantly take video clips when we're on the road, and we are the goofiest girls in the world…
Anna Peacock: On our road trips we love to sing "If You Wanna Be" by the Spice Girls!

Comments