Katherine Jenkins' sound of music


Welsh lyric mezzo Soprano Katherine Jenkins is so looking forward to her tour of South Africa in August. The Beat had a chat with her about music, CDs, touring and her favourite songs to sing in the shower. . .
Katherine Jenkins
It is awesome to see you touring South Africa again! Thank you so much. I’m so excited. When I was there last year I had such a blast. I did about anything a tourist could do in the beautiful country of yours. What made it extra special was that my mom travelled with me. This time around, I’m running on a tight schedule, so I’m not sure what else I’m going to do, besides performing. (Laughs) If anyone can recommend something, please do.
We hear you are touring with a full orchestra. Yes, but it’s not an orchestra from the UK. It’s actually a local orchestra that my conductor is busy training for the shows. What I’ve heard so far is that they are one of the most talented group of people he has worked with.
So fans are in for something special. Very much so. Besides the local orchestra, I’ll be doing a selection of my music, pop-opera tunes and is throwing in some Broadway themes as well. And of course, I’ll bedazzled the crowds with my glamour outfits. You know, a girl has to look good when performing (Laughs).
Talking about music, was singing your first career option. Yes and no. I loved singing and followed advice from my parents to study hard, get good grades and I got it. Being a lawyer was also on the cards, but luckily that never happened. Fresh from school I basically got my record contract.
What was the first CD you ever bought? It was Madonna’s Material Girl. I only got into classical music around the age of 14. I still listen to Madonna and hoping to see her MDNA Tour when it visits the UK.
Do you sing her songs in the shower? No, not at all. I practice my scales to warm up my voice when having a shower or a batch.
You recently came second in the American TV show Dancing With The Stars, so we assume you’re a good dancer. Oh my word, no! I only had tap lessons as a child and Dancing With The Stars was completely different to what I expected. I was stunned to see that  I actually finished second on the show.
You perform a lot, sing and is just a busy girl, but how do you relax? What is that? (Laughs) I have a very hectic schedule, but when I do get the time, I hang out with family and friends and also enjoy running. I’m busy training for a marathon, so it’s healthy eating and lots of running for me.
* Katherine will be performing in Johannesburg at Carnival City’s Big Top Arena on Saturday 11 August and in Cape Town at the Grand Arena Grand West on Friday 17 August. Ticket available from Computicket and range between R225 and R525.

Comments