Chatting to MTV Base’s new face: Nomuzi Mabena

Sexy communications science student Nomuzi Mabena has her head in the clouds after winning the 2012 MTV Base VJ Search. The Beat had a chat to her about winning, music and her favourite song to sing in the shower.

Nomuzi Mabena
Congratulations! How do you feel about the new chapter in your life? Its all very exciting and I'm absolutely loving it. I'm finally living my dreams and it’s an amazing feeling. Sadly the initial excitement of winning is over because I've been working hard already. Its been a hectic 2 weeks.  
What was the first thing you did when it was announced as winner? Closed my eyes and tried to remember to breathe. The next few minutes after that are a blur lol :)
Why (and how) would you say you have grown through the whole process of the competition? I've just realised that I'm far more resilient and able than I really think. Obviously my skills as a presenter have improved too. My relationships with family and friends have grown too. I needed all the support I could get and a lot of people had my back. My love for music and the industry is at an all time high.
What do you like about MTV Base & Club 808 on e.tv? Wow! Where do I begin? MTV is one of the most recognised and respected music brands in the world and being a part of the African extension means the world and more to me. Not only because its super cool but because we are actively changing the perception of Africa around the world. Not only are we giving our very own artists a huge platform but we're showing everyone that we have a lot to offer and that we're major players in the industry. What I love about Club808 is the energy of the show. It goes out to so many people in South Africa and all those energies combined make for an amazing show. It’s a lot of fun, very fresh and exciting and I just dig it man.
What music do you listen to? Because of the position I hold its important for me to listen to a bit of everything, just so I'm always up to date. But house music is definitely my favourite and I listen to a lot of hip hop too. But at the moment, totally loving Toya Delazy's work. She really is an amazing artist with a sound that's bursting with international flavour. I dig AKA. He's a stellar performer and definitely one of the best rappers SA has to offer. And since MiCasa Music dropped I've been a diehard MiCasa fan. So yeah... Those 3 are doing it for me.
Who is one of your favourite TV presenters (and why)? I really love watching Top Billing’s Jeannie D present. She just always looks like she's having so much fun and has this naughty but sexy "I know something you don't know" look in her eyes. She really is something. I just always want to go to a slumber party with her and all my girl friends right after Top Billing, she's just such a cutie.
Any dream of singing yourself? No!! Oh gosh no... I cannot sing to save my life hahahaha. I'll spare the world on that one.
Your favourite song to sing in the shower/bath? MiCasa- LaVida. It’s one of my all time favourite songs and singing my version of it is always so fun lol:)

Comments