Macklemore talks about his gay anthem 'Same Love'

Macklemore
Rapper Macklemore has opened up about a gay anthem he penned for his latest album The Heist, reports Digital Spy. The rapper's track 'Same Love' hears him openly speak about his support for gay marriage and equality, marking a breakthrough in mainstream hip-hop music. The track was inspired by his gay uncles and gay godfather and is an issue that is personal to him. "I was really nervous to play it for them," Macklemore told The New Review in a rare interview for this weekend's The Independent On Sunday. "It's obviously a very personal song, and I didn't want to cross any boundaries in terms of their privacy. But we actually ended up taking a picture of them and using it as the cover art for the single. "I wanted the art to reflect how personal the song was, and they are a big reason why I'm so passionate about the issue. "Talking about his decision to approach the subject, he continued: "I'm always trying to push the margins. I wanna be an artist that writes songs that are different; I don't wanna write the same song that everyone else is writing. "I wanna challenge myself, I wanna challenge society, and I wanna be the best version of myself, and the way I can do that is by expressing and talking about concepts that no-one else will, that people are afraid to address. "I wanna be able to talk about those openly and honestly and figure myself out and help those who listen to the records figure them out."

Comments