IDOLS SA! 2012 Idols SA winner Khaya Mthethwa dishes out advice for Idols SA 2013 hopefuls

With South Africa gearing up for Idols SA 2013, starting on M-Net (DStv channel 101) and Mzansi (DStv channel 161) simultaneously on Sunday 28 July at 17:30, That TV Guy caught up with the 2012 winner, Khaya Mthethwa, to see how star stutus has treated him, what he is up to these days, advice for contestants for the new series and which judge he like the most!

Idols SA 2012 winner Khaya Mthethwa
Looking back at the last year in your life, how has Idols change it? Idols has completely changed my life, from releasing my debut album "For You", to the enormous platforms I’ve performed  on with some of the most respected musicians in Africa, to the different awards I've won. Looking back I can really write a book on all the wonderful things that have happened in my life.

What has been the most exciting thing for you since winner Idols? Seeing the people that supported me on the show from people from all walks of Life, seeing them proud and them saying they were inspired by me... That was really exciting for me. Performing my own material and seeing people love and appreciate it.

I follow you on Facebook and see you’ve been quite busy. How do you cope with the hectic schedule? I love what I do and I'm very passionate about my craft... I guess it's the love I have  and the goals I've set for myself that keep going!!

What is the one thing fans don’t know about you and your career? That I shake sometimes before I go out and perform... I get extremely nervous!!! Wet hand alas!!

How do you fit in family time with your hectic schedule? Making time for my family is a priority, firstly when I'm working in Durban I don't sleep in hotels I try and be home. Secondly I make time, sometimes I have to say No to other things so I can be with my family.

With Idols 2013 starting soon, what 5 important tips can you give them? 1.run our own race don't compete. 2.rehearse the song you’re gonna perform as many times as you can. You will never be overly prepared!!! 3. Be who you are. 4.Push yourself don't play safe. 5.Have fun.

What do you think is the secret of your success? My spiritual relationship with God. Respecting everyone. Preparation. Working hard

What is your motto in life? Success is when opportunity meets preparation

What is next for Khaya? Touring my current album. Preparing for the second album. Hopefully diversify into presenting and hosting a show. Producing and giving other people opportunities.

What other interesting projects you working on? Right. Now I'm just planning a national tour. Working closely with my choir as well...

If you can give a message to Idols hopefuls, what will it  be? Give it all you have... This is a one in a life time opportunity make your mark in the history books!!

What is your view on the judges? I love them to bits!!

Who was your favourite and your least favourite judge? I don't really have one but if I had to choose it would be Gareth Cliff...  He is honest in his own way... Liberal!!!

Comments