HOT! Katy Perry - Prism

A new threshold, a new light - this is Katy Perry's Prism, a compilation of songs that not only reflect her inner light, but also refract a colourful and mesmerizing wave of change in her music and life. On the heels of Teenage Dream, and after what proved to be one of the most challenging years of her personal life, Katy’s cotton-candy world took a turn down a road of self-reflection as she was creating her new album. “I did a lot of figuring out who I am and reconnecting with myself and growing,” she says. “I’ve let a lot of light in, and through that it’s inspired me to write certain songs that are full of that wonderful positivity." The name, in a sense, says it all. “I feel like a walking prism. I get to shine a light and beam it to all of my listeners through my songs. I am really proud of all of the songs on this record, and everyone says something different. There are a lot of different colours, a lot of different moods, and a lot of different emotions. I’ve learned a lot of things in the past year as I was making it. When I started writing in November 2012, I was in a much darker place. You can see the transition I was going through in the first song I wrote for the record with Greg Wells, 'By the Grace of God.' Then, there came a point this past year where I needed to reflect and sit down and be like, ‘Okay, what’s going on inside of me, and what are some things I need to get clear and deal with? How can I help myself get to the next level and grow?’ I guess you just have to be open and ready for it."

Comments