Jeremy Loops opens up about his debut CD, Trading Change that shot to #1 on iTunes SA and what his favourite track on the CD is

Jeremy Loops and some of his band mates

Congrats with the CD going to #1 on iTunes SA! That is awesome. What’s your thoughts on this? I’m partly relieved, but also really overwhelmed. I think, with people waiting this long for the album, there was a certain level of expectation, and getting number one is a sign that we’ve come close to meeting that. Still, no. 1 is cool.

When did you find out about this and what was your first thought? My dad emailed me at 2am on launch day. I found out at 06h30. I literally burst out laughing from relief.

Your favourite track on the CD is….I love them all, but Trip Fox is very special to me at present as, more than anything else, it really captures the core intent of the album, and where in my life I’m at currently. It was also the last song I wrote for the album, and I really needed to deliver on it.

How long did it take to record the CD? Two years, roughly. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to translate the way I do the songs live, into workable album songs. I had no prior experience of being in studio, so over the two years I spent lots of time going in and out of different studio’s, recording songs here and there, and just generally trying to get better at working in studio under time constraints.

What obstacles did you face recording the CD? Time, money, and experience. We knew we wanted to make an album that could stand on a shelf next to anything else and be considered comparable, both in terms of quality and content. I think meeting Bryan Wilson in London to help us produce it changed everything.

You guys are touring soon the UK, Canada and the US. What can people expect at the shows? Tons of energy, and lots of new music. Our set is going through quite an overhaul, and we’re excited to show the world what we’ve been working on.

What advice could you give to aspiring musos? Play and practice your songs. Nothing matters more than the songs.

Comments